Bespoke Curtains and Blinds Tips
Blinds and Curtains Together?
Whether you’re planning a DIY project or plan to hire someone to install your curtains and blinds, there are some “tricks of the trade” that you should know for a successful project. Here are our do’s and don’ts for window treatments with curtains and blinds.
- Measure Carefully! Curtains should either puddle slightly at the floor, just barely touch the floor or be approximately .5 inches above.
- Aim for Consistency – Ensure that blinds and curtains in one room are all hung at the same height. This creates a more coherent design.
- Choose Your Blind First – Determine whether you need better sun blocking, light control and/or insulation.
- Choose Curtain Fabric Based on Blinds – Break patterns up with solid colors. Having a printed pattern is best for the curtains, as you’ll always see it, even when the curtain is opened. Since blinds are often opened, they’re not as visible, so a solid color is fine and likely preferable.
- Hang Curtains Tall and Wide – Place curtains above the top of the window and outside the width of the window for a more expansive and elegant appearance. Installing the curtain rod close to the ceiling will make the ceiling appear higher than it is.
- Ignore Your Environment – Do you live on a busy street? You may not want sheer curtains that offer little privacy. Is the room southern facing? Make sure you choose curtains and blinds that allow for natural light to come in, as this will also help you save money in energy costs
- Combine Prints – When selecting curtains and blinds, choose one solid color and one print in colors that complement each other.
- Hang Curtains Too Low – Curtains shouldn’t be hung directly over the window, as this will make the room look small and cramped.
- Use the Same Colors and Patterns in Every Room – Create different “moods” for each room of your home, depending upon its use and the existing decor. Choose brighter, more vibrant colors and designs for the kitchen, more soothing prints and subdued colors in a bedroom, richer and more elegant designs for a living room and a kid-friendly print in a child’s bedroom.
You’ll also find that combining curtains and blinds with different colors and designs gives the entire room a new feel, so think about the type of atmosphere you wish to create in that space. Happy decorating!